Photo from Corralejo
The festive and often-overlooked holiday of Cinco de Mayo is a perfect excuse to throw a fiesta and kick off the summer season. Who says it has to be all 'chips & salsa?' Here at TWE, we believe in sophisticating an evening to celebrate the Mexican culture, all while having the traditional fun that makes the holiday so special in it's native homeland.
Here are a few tips to polish up your Spanish-style and create a memorable Mexican evening for all!
- "No time for a Siesta, Time to Fiesta!" Sassy invitations are a MUST for a Cinco de Mayo party. Use upside-down sombreros with a neatly tied bag of tortilla chips and salsa on the inside. Attach a note with all the details of the event. Hand deliver the invites for welcomed surprise!
- Musical Mariachi's! Hire a Mariachi band. Live music always livens up a crowd and creates a more intimate feeling. If hiring a band isn't in your party budget, buy Mariachi music selections from iTunes and play them throughout the evening.
- Red Hot Lights! Decorate your home and buffet table with strings of chili pepper lights, colorful carnations in warm tones and Mexican colors, cacti and collectibles from the honored country. The more authentic, the better! Welcome female guests with red carnations to tuck behind their ears.
- A Toast! Start the evening off with a toast in tribute to the fabulous country where we love to vacation! Pass around fresh margaritas made with Corralejo Tequila. (Recipe below) It certainly gives a kick start to your night!
- Saucy Starters! Create an appetizer bar with at least five different kinds of hot sauce/salsa combinations. We just love Mrs. Renfro's!!! Your guests will love sampling the varieties and will keep coming back for more! Include a build-your-own taco salad bar to add to the dining sequence.
- Dinner is Served! Treat your guests to a fabulous sit-down dinner after an hour of appetizers. Serve traditional courses like Pork Carnitas or Prawns Vericruz. The sophisticated menu will put an emphasis back on quality-seasoned food and elevate your event!
- Spanish Sweets! Create a spread of delicious desserts fit for any fiesta! Incorporate traditional Mexican desserts like flan, fried ice cream scoops, red-hot tamales and Mexican coffee selections.
- Party Pinata! If you've invited over a lively crowd...and why won't you?...bring out a stuffed pinata as a late-night attraction. Stuff it with Mexican candy and mini packets of aspirin for the true party goers! What a fun way to end the night.
- Favors For Your Favorite Amigos! Give out small potted cacti as your guests party favors. They will be a festive reminder of how much fun your guests had for months to come!
For a great margarita, try this recipe from Corralejo:
- 1 1/4 ounces of Corralejo Tequila
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1/2 ounce triple sec
- Dash of lemon juice
Blend or serve on the rocks. Garnish with a lime. Raise a glass and toast to Cinco de Mayo!